Total Users count looks to be incorrect

Hello,

We have been using countly as the analytics tool for one of our applications, and when I use the dashboard to see how many total users we have had, It gives me an incorrect value (About 4 times the actual users that we really have).

I was able to compare this to actual data since we keep a record in our database for every user.

Countly reports 400 users
Our Database records 131 users. We have double checked accuracy of these records in the database

Can somebody please tell me how "Users" are calculated and tracked in the analytics dashboard?
And why it would display such an inflated number for our application?

Thank You

Hello
there can be multiple scenarios where this can happen

1. By default, Countly actually tracks unique devices. So if your users use multiple devices, chances are, each of them is recorded as separate user. To track them as each single user, you need to provide custom device_id to our SDK that could identify user across devices (like your system's internal user id).

2. There is aggregated data and granular data (Granular data available only for Enterprise Edition). And aggregated data, due to format how it is stored, in some period need to estimate unique user values. Correct user value should be displayed correctly for full periods, like full year, full month, full day.
    If total user correction is enabled in Management -> Configurations, then Countly will try to use additional stored data to correct user estimations for period that include today, like last 30 days, last 7 days, etc. For other custom periods user data will be estimated and it is usually marked with asterix:

Enterprise functionality based on granular data like Drill or User profiles should work correctly and does not have estimation

1. Since aggregated data is anonymous, it can only be increased, thus decreases in data are not currently possible. So if you delete user or merge users on server side, the aggregated data will remain the same. We are working on a fix for Enterprise Edition here on recalculating this data, but no time estimation for fix right now.

Thanks for the reply. Can you please provide documentation on sending custom device_id to the SDK?

Thanks again

Sure,
for iOS it would be:
https://resources.count.ly/docs/countly-sdk-for-ios-and-os-x#section-device-id

And for Android its upon initialization:

Let me know if you use some other SDK, and I can try to find info for that too

Thank You. This information is very helpful.